For the ISLANDS Intimate Escapes 2009 list, contributing editor Bob Friel and his wife took two leisurely ferry rides from their home on Washington's Orcas Island to reach British Columbia's Salt Spring Island. There they stayed at Hastings House, which had the welcoming feel of a "country house hotel." And it finally gave Bob a chance to hit the reset button as he took a long overdue nap. Find the full story in the January/February 2009 issue of ISLANDS.
Plan Your Trip
- Fly by Kenmore Air float plane from Seattle's Lake Union airport (LKE) to Ganges Harbor (YGG) on Salt Spring, kenmoreair.com. Or take a ferry from Vancouver. bcferries.com
- Stay at the Hastings House Country House Hotel, with 18 rooms and suites on 22 acres along Ganges Harbor. hastingshouse.com
- Picnic on Baynes Peak in Mount Maxwell Provincial Park near Hastings House for a commanding view of the surrounding islands.
- Take the studio tour of working artists on the island, covering more than 30 stops. saltspringstudiotour.com
- Find more intimate escapes at islands.com/intimate.