Tag: adventure vacations
- ISLANDS contributor Jad Davenport gives a sneak peek at his latest epic trip
- The quest to discover New Zealand's Marlborough wine region on two wheels.
- Three journalists share their mis-adventures while traveling around Cuba.
JOE YOGERST: On assignment in Cuba, I rented a car and was driving from Moron to Santa Clara, and the map was unclear. It was late in the day and I was running low on gas. I picked up this young guy at a round-about, hoping he could give me directions. Right away he pointed at a road, and off we went. But as it started getting dark (and my gas needle kept dropping), I began to think I’d been duped. About 90 minutes out, we came upon this tiny village, where he asked me to stop: This was his home. He leapt out of the car without a word—wouldn’t tell me if I was even close to Santa Clara. I headed back to Moron, running on fumes and cursing my trickster hitcher the whole way.
JAD DAVENPORT: After the Berlin Wall fell in 1989, Cuba lost $6 billion in Soviet subsidies, and the public transportation system died. There were so few private vehicles and buses running between towns that people formed orderly queues at underpasses, offramps, etc. I stopped at an underpass outside Havana driving a Hyundai made for ﬁve small people. We crammed in 12. The cops waved me over and said, "Hey, you know it’s illegal to pick up hitchhikers?" I panicked; I was already in the country illegally...
- The resorts on St. Lucia are known for offering a wealth of fitness packages. But the true meaning of health might not necessarily be found in a Zumba class.
- Celebrate Earth Day, April 22, with a free visit to a national park. The National Park Foundation is lifting entrance fees to every inch of its 84 million acres of National Parks not just for the day, but for an entire “Earth Week,” April 21 to 29, 2012.
More than 100 national parks usually charge admission fees, so plan on taking advantage of the free week to celebrate the great outdoors at one of these ISLANDS’ favorites:
- Acadia National Park, Maine
- Christiansted National Historic Site, U.S. Virgin Islands
- Dry Tortugas National Park, Florida Keys
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
- Haleakala National Park, Hawaii
- Pu'uhonua o Hōnaunau National Historical Park, Hawaii
- San Juan National Historic Site, Puerto Rico
RELATED: Get some expert photo tips for capturing the perfect image at Haleakala National Park.
- After a decimating tsunami and years of war, Sri Lanka has not been on many traveler's to-do lists. But the island is now open and welcoming to tourists. Come on in and pet the elephants!