Tag: Best of the Web
- We love the Caribbean and after our judges looked through thousands of photo contest submissions, it’s clear that you do, too! But hang on: These aren't our winners just yet. Do you have a photo that can top these?
- Even though I tend to gain 10 pounds or so with each visit, Italy is still one my favorite destinations to go on assignment. From the surreal sight of Castello Aragonese looming over the island of Ischia to the awe-inspiring views of Mount Etna on Sicily, there’s never a shortage of visual inspiration. Italia is one of those places that make my job as photographer for Islands look easy…almost too easy.
- Go underground in the Dominican Republic's La Cueva de Rulfo.
- Want a few healthy-eating secrets? Look at the olive tree and, specifically, who's in it.
- This region’s people, places and things are as diverse as the islands themselves. Getting the goods (and the bads and the weirds and everything in between) is what our esteemed cadre of contributors does best. Go snorkeling on Curaçao’s feral side; try turtle soup in Barbuda (or maybe don’t); sleep where Richard Gere slept; jump into the water at the Baths. We can’t promise things will turn out like you imagined, but if they did, why would you travel at all?
- They’re beer guys in New Zealand’s wine country. That might explain why Andy Deuchars and Brian Thiel, expats from California, have given the name “Paradox” to one of the pilsners made at their Renaissance Brewing Company. Or why they describe an ale with equal parts sensory effects and breakfast-buffet details: “Layers of biscuit, maple syrup, and hints of black currant and toast.” The combination works. Just like a winemaker (Andy, 45) partnering with a Mercedes mechanic (Brian, 43) to create beer 7,000 miles from home.
- Here are your best answers. The map below reveals the top regional picks. Hello, Hawaii.
- Donkeys flee the tarmac. cows stumble over each other, leaving fresh souvenirs on Utila’s airstrip. And here comes Rebecca Engel, 23, on a golf cart. “Taxi service,” she says. Rebecca has made these airport pickups for her family’s Utila Lodge since she was 12. She says the widest cart path (“the highway”) didn’t exist when she moved here with Mom and Dad from Minot, North Dakota, in 1994. There are now ATVs and at least 20 trucks islandwide. “It can be dangerous,” Rebecca says. This from a girl whose first friends were “man-eating” creatures.
- Hobbits, Dwarves and Wizards take flight as Air New Zealand launches its latest Lord of the Rings on board safety video.
Pay close attention to the safety video and you could win a once-in-a-lifetime Middle-earth experience in New Zealand. Hidden within the video are secret Elvish codes. Viewers who spot the codes can then visit www.airnzcode.com/hobbitmovie to unlock the door to Bag End and be entered to win a trip for two to New Zealand, including a tour of the Hobbiton movie set, a visit to the Weta Cave in Wellington, and double passes to the red carpet global premiere of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.