Tag: Best of the Web
- No matter how many times you've been to an island, there's always a new way to experience it. Over the decades ISLANDS editors have taken countless trips to the island of Tahiti – as have our loyal readers – yet we've never done a story like this.
- A man of numerous trades and skill-sets, Steve Massum is the chief taxidermist at the Falkland Islands Museum and National Trust in Stanley. He sees his work as a means to bring about awareness and understanding of the plight of animal species in this part of the world. If there was one animal he’d have liked to work on that he hasn’t, it would have been a Bee Hummingbird, but his eyesight, he feels, is past it now. This is the second of seven videos in our series that capture the uniqueness, the quirkiness and the complexity surrounding the Falkland Islands, while ultimately providing more intimate insight into the islands as a whole. See 51º South: A Prologue here.
- Welcome to an inside perspective. To a remote set of islands all too often overlooked on the world map, and to the unique, independent people who call this place home. Pack your passport and zip up your raincoat. Brew one last cup of tea and step ashore. You’ve arrived at 51º South, and this is the Falkland Islands. This is the first of seven videos in this series that capture the uniqueness, the quirkiness and the complexity surrounding the islands, while ultimately providing more intimate insight into the Falklands as a whole. 51degreessouth.com
- What’s a little no-holds-barred sharing among friends? Our peripatetic contributors share the good, the bad and the ugly of island-resort experiences and island travel. There have been backbreaking journeys that made them think twice about leaving home. Breathtaking views that made all the effort worth it. Meals that made them wince. Snuggly beds that made them forget about their queasy stomachs. It all starts with a soft mattress in the land of elephants.
- For certain tribes in Papua New Guinea, ritualistic scarring is a right of passage for men and women.
Page 4 of 6