Tag: News & Deals
- Two resorts in St. Lucia are teaming up to let visitors embrace the best of the island. Escape everything in famed no-fourth-wall suites overlooking the Pitons at Ladera. Then enjoy a perfect perch near Rodney Bay to get down with locals at Cap Maison.
- Fans of Roatán are about to get a new resort option for their favorite Caribbean island. Las Verandas Hotel & Villas is planning to lift its curtain on March 1. The resort includes a championship golf course, the Palapa Bar & Restaurant, two infinity edge pools, 1,000 feet of private beach and six villas with Caribbean views.
- It might be odd timing given that Valentine's Day is upon us, but Eco Serendib Villa and Spa in St. John, USVI, is encouraging ladies to leave their husbands behind for its latest trip offer. The resort's five-night “Serendipitous Escape” for up to six gal pals and offers plenty of pampering, starting with an arrival via ferry where a chosen theme song -- Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, Single Ladies, This One's For the Girls -- greets guests along with with cold towels, freshly brewed lemongrass tea, champagne and hors d’oeuvres.
- Jewelry and chocolate is nice. But if you want to seriously get the attention of your significant other, a plane ticket to a tropical destination would make for the perfect Valentine's Day gift. Thankfully, some of our favorite resorts are offering some great deals, but you better hurry: For some of these deals, you'll have to book by the end of this week.
“Free" is a rare modifier at Atlantis. So when my friend boasted of a hotel that offered free breakfasts, free Internet, and free entry to Atlantis, I knew a kicker was closing fast. "The hotel isn’t on the property," she admitted. Yep, I knew there was a catch. "It’s right there," she said. She pointed to a pink building just down the driveway from Atlantis’ Coral Reef Towers. Between me and it, a sidewalk. No major intersections. “The hotel isn’t advertised on the Atlantis website,” she beamed. “You know, because it’s the Comfort Suites.”
- The Australian in the aloha shirt is leaning against the bow railing of Oceanic Discoverer. Word is out among the 50 other passengers on the expedition ship that I'm searching for that bewitching island James Michener wrote about in Tales of the South Pacific. The island with the power to restore lost innocence. The ship is pointed like a compass needle at Ureparapara, a misty volcano rising from the sea in the far north of Vanuatu. Hidden inside the flooded crater is supposed to be a peaceful Melanesian village completely cut off from the outside world. This could be it.
Read Jad Davenport's In Search of Bali Hai in the just out November issue of ISLANDS.
News from our friends at Ladera Resort on St. Lucia:
Ladera, the legendary Caribbean hotel known for its pioneering open-air architecture, luxury hospitality and eco-friendly practices at 1,100 feet above the Caribbean Sea, is celebrating its 20th Anniversary with a generous and extraordinary "Anniversary Package" promotion, launching today.
The first 1,100 people (or 550 couples) who book a Hilltop Dream Suite or Luxury Villa under the "Anniversary Package" promotion will receive all of their meals, every day during their stay, at no extra charge, valid on stays taking place now through December 21, 2012. The offer includes breakfast, lunch, and dinner at Ladera's legendary restaurant Dasheene, one of the Caribbean's most highly regarded tables. A selection of beverages with meals is included. The full details can be found on Ladera.com.
- Luxury island trendsetters take note: China is the next hot thing in tropical getaways. Or, more specifically, Hainan, known as China's Hawaii.
Proof? The luxury resort One&Only—which has properties in Bahamas, Dubai, Mauritius, and Maldives—just broke ground in Sanya on Hainan Island; its first property in China.
Scheduled to be opening in early 2014, the resort will comprise 40 acres of coconut palms and ancient rosewood trees on Tufu Bay with views of the South China Sea. The posh property is expected to have 180 guest rooms, a sybaritic spa, and restaurants featuring regional specialties by internationally known chefs (Gordon Ramsey, Jean-Georges Vongerichten, and Nobuyuki "Nobu" Matsuhisa have all worked with O&O in the past).
So pack your Aloha shirts and get ready to say "Ni Hao" Hainan!
For more information: oneandonlyresorts.com
- The 2012 ISLANDS wall calendar is here! Enjoy stunning photography of your favorite island spots, including Bora Bora, Japan, Samoa and more, all year long.