- The recipes for my favorite Italian meals — that’s all my mom asked for as I headed to Sicily. It seemed like a simple request. But I don’t speak Italian, and I’m no chef, so I returned home with a collection of kitchen disasters.
And then I discovered Saveur’s Easy Italian cookbook for the iPad and iPhone. Its 30 recipes show that many of Italy’s most satisfying foods are also the world’s simplest. Find tips, wine pairings and a breakdown of the lore of Italian food without leaving home — did you know minestrone means big soup? Cook up pasta with lamb and almond pesto, and you too can pretend to be in Palermo shouting “Mangia! Mangia!
- I am wet, I am cold, and an endangered bird of prey just tried to kill my friend. Believe it or not, this is one of the best days of my life.
There is simply no good way to describe Sea Lion Island, the wildlife sanctuary considered to be the ‘jewel of the Falklands archipelago’. Every corner I turn brings me face to face with a scene that prior to this moment I had only seen on a Discovery Channel documentary. Want to see Elephant seals fighting? Sure-just go right over there. You say you’d like to plop down in the middle of 9000 Gentoo Penguins and have them wander up and sit literally right beside you? Just go out the back door of the lodge.
Honestly, there aren’t enough memory cards in the world to contain every photo that my trigger finger wants to create. If the in-your-face wildlife isn’t enough to whet that creative appetite how about dramatic cliffs and crashing waves, windswept plains or beautiful sheltered coves?
Here’s a sneak peek at some shots I grabbed while on the island. Look for my full photo essay in an upcoming issue of ISLANDS Magazine.
- Luxury island trendsetters take note: China is the next hot thing in tropical getaways. Or, more specifically, Hainan, known as China's Hawaii.
Proof? The luxury resort One&Only—which has properties in Bahamas, Dubai, Mauritius, and Maldives—just broke ground in Sanya on Hainan Island; its first property in China.
Scheduled to be opening in early 2014, the resort will comprise 40 acres of coconut palms and ancient rosewood trees on Tufu Bay with views of the South China Sea. The posh property is expected to have 180 guest rooms, a sybaritic spa, and restaurants featuring regional specialties by internationally known chefs (Gordon Ramsey, Jean-Georges Vongerichten, and Nobuyuki "Nobu" Matsuhisa have all worked with O&O in the past).
So pack your Aloha shirts and get ready to say "Ni Hao" Hainan!
For more information: oneandonlyresorts.com
- What does it take to get to a beautiful private island resort? Three planes, a golf cart, and a boat got us to Petit St. Vincent.
Open Floor Plan
I’d say this villa is decent in size. But when I slid two glass doors open, the place was basically down to two walls. The sea and constant breeze became an extension of the villa. I felt like an invisible king on the hill.
The resort has its quirks. No phones. No TVs. Quiet beyond belief. When I wanted a drink or a towel, I’d raise a yellow ﬂag outside, with a note. A guy would swing by in a Mini Moke, drop oﬀ what I requested and disappear.
Only once did I see a boat cruise past the shoreline. I did ﬁnd two restaurants on the other side of the private island, both within walking distance — or within reach of a Mini Moke with the help of that little yellow ﬂag.
- What to do on layovers and port calls in Grand Cayman, San Juan, London, Oahu, or Aruba.