Tag: eco travel
- No fish tales here. Islands' editor Eddy Patricelli goes fishing in Mentawai with a local.
- What’s in a watch? You’d be surprised, or at least I am with the Sprout ST5500. The band is made from Tyvek, an eco-friendly fiber, so it’s biodegradable. But I wouldn’t dare compost it.
- It's day 3 in New Zealand. I'm sitting overlooking the break at Raglan. I've spent the last two hours paddling through these waves, and wish I could have stretched the session longer. It's Autumn here, and my wetsuit was no match for the chill of approaching Winter. My whole body has gone numb, and after hiking from Auckland to Raglan, I'm thankful for a bit of relief.
- The natural beauty of Tobago is perfect for hiking, bird-watching and exploring
- Celebrate Earth Day, April 22, with a free visit to a national park. The National Park Foundation is lifting entrance fees to every inch of its 84 million acres of National Parks not just for the day, but for an entire “Earth Week,” April 21 to 29, 2012.
More than 100 national parks usually charge admission fees, so plan on taking advantage of the free week to celebrate the great outdoors at one of these ISLANDS’ favorites:
- Acadia National Park, Maine
- Christiansted National Historic Site, U.S. Virgin Islands
- Dry Tortugas National Park, Florida Keys
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
- Haleakala National Park, Hawaii
- Pu'uhonua o Hōnaunau National Historical Park, Hawaii
- San Juan National Historic Site, Puerto Rico
RELATED: Get some expert photo tips for capturing the perfect image at Haleakala National Park.
- “The Galápagos are a desert-island adventure — swimming with penguins, hiking past giant tortoises. To see it all without any hassle, jump on a weeklong cruise aboard a small ship like I did on the M/V Eclipse.” —Jad Davenport, writer/photographer
- Hapuku Lodge Tree Houses give eco-conscious travelers a bird's eye view of olive groves against the Pacific Ocean.
ECO-LOOKS ESCAPE: New Zealand Sky Box
LOCATION: Kaikoura, New Zealand
RESORT: Hapuku Lodge Tree Houses
NIGHTLY RATE: From $570 and up
Hapuku Lodge Tree Houses give eco-conscious travelers a bird's eye view of New Zealand olive groves against the Pacific Ocean.
Read the full article Eco-Looks Escape: New Zealand Sky Box »