Tag: island destinations
- ISLANDS Wish List - Australia Great Barrier Reef 4
- ISLANDS Wish List - Australia Great Barrier Reef 3
- ISLANDS Wish List - Australia Great Barrier Reef 2
- ISLANDS Wish List - Australia Great Barrier Reef
- The resorts on St. Lucia are known for offering a wealth of fitness packages. But editor Robert Stephens finds that the true meaning of health might not necessarily be found in a Zumba class.
- Stress is a life stealer – especially when a heart condition forbids it. To stop worrying, a writer heads for Grand Turk for a lesson in relaxing.
- After a decimating tsunami and years of war, Sri Lanka has not been on many traveler's to-do lists. But the island is now open and welcoming to tourists. Come on in and pet the elephants!
- My room number has ﬁve digits.
As in, room number 11-544. Can I tattoo this number onto my hand? You know, so I can ﬁnd my room, or simply remember to keep looking for it? I’ve been distracted by a Maya temple, Chihuly glass sculptures, underwater ruins, 12-foot manta rays, shopping malls, slot machines and thousands of smiling kids — slipping and skipping through miles of water slides, rivers and aquariums.
Of course, all this is Atlantis, visionary Sol Kerzner’s take on the mythical sunken city, raised from the depths as a modern-day, semi-sunken resort. Perhaps the world’s most ambitious. I’m here for a travel conference. It’s an odd setting for one. Atlantis is decidedly not the Bahamas, nor travel. It’s a fantasy. A megasize one.
Now, if only I could locate my room in it all ... whoa, a race-car track?!”
- A rare type of honey found in Greece could be the world's greatest cure-all.
- Luxury island trendsetters take note: China is the next hot thing in tropical getaways. Or, more specifically, Hainan, known as China's Hawaii.
Proof? The luxury resort One&Only—which has properties in Bahamas, Dubai, Mauritius, and Maldives—just broke ground in Sanya on Hainan Island; its first property in China.
Scheduled to be opening in early 2014, the resort will comprise 40 acres of coconut palms and ancient rosewood trees on Tufu Bay with views of the South China Sea. The posh property is expected to have 180 guest rooms, a sybaritic spa, and restaurants featuring regional specialties by internationally known chefs (Gordon Ramsey, Jean-Georges Vongerichten, and Nobuyuki "Nobu" Matsuhisa have all worked with O&O in the past).
So pack your Aloha shirts and get ready to say "Ni Hao" Hainan!
For more information: oneandonlyresorts.com