- I recently tested Pano by Debacle Software, and this easy-to-use app is worth every penny of the $1.99 sticker. I have no regrets about hitting the download button with this one. Available on iPhone or Android.
- The broad strokes are indelible: Teenager eludes authorities for two years—stealing cars, boats, even planes.
In The Barefoot Bandit, ISLANDS contributor Bob Friel didn’t just report on Colton Harris-Moore’s crime spree; he lived it. Bob is a resident of the San Juan Islands, Colton’s home and the place where he escalated from local nuisance to international outlaw. The vulnerabilities of small island communities, the resilience of a bright but troubled teen and the failure of a child-welfare system are told from the inside as this page-turner unfolds. Did Colton really re-steal a bike from the police to return it to its owner? How did he teach himself to ﬂy? Why ﬂee to the Bahamas?
Exclusive interviews with his mom, victims and friends reveal the true Barefoot Bandit, and a life of missed potential. But boy, what a ride.
- The recipes for my favorite Italian meals — that’s all my mom asked for as I headed to Sicily. It seemed like a simple request. But I don’t speak Italian, and I’m no chef, so I returned home with a collection of kitchen disasters.
And then I discovered Saveur’s Easy Italian cookbook for the iPad and iPhone. Its 30 recipes show that many of Italy’s most satisfying foods are also the world’s simplest. Find tips, wine pairings and a breakdown of the lore of Italian food without leaving home — did you know minestrone means big soup? Cook up pasta with lamb and almond pesto, and you too can pretend to be in Palermo shouting “Mangia! Mangia!
- When I was a teenager, no beach was too far. No bed was no problem. So long as surfable waves unfurled offshore, I’d happily sleep on the sand. Now I wouldn’t dare. And with the WaveCave, I don’t have to. The travel-ready surfboard bag, made from durable, high-quality materials, unzips into a tent, complete with a mattress and waterproof canopy. Pure luxury for a surfing teen; pure relief for an aging 40-year-old. —Eddy Patricelli
From $220; wavecavesurf.com
- Don’t call it a backpack. Booq’s Cobra pack is like Fort Knox for your electronics. These days, travelers tend to bring more electronics than underwear on trips. The pack’s waterproof zippers, rugged nylon exterior, water-resistant rubberized bottom and rigid-frame laptop compartment lined with soft fabrics let you rest easy when the flight attendant forces you to stuff your bag in a tiny overhead bin.
- ISLANDS editors pick their 5 favorite cruises, from luxury cruising the Mediterranean to sailing the Far East.
- Hiking shoes don't have to weigh you down. These lightweight shoes just may be the perfect companion for outdoor adventures this high season.
- Josh Humbert operates a black-pearl farm called Kamoka Pearls on the atoll of Ahe, 300 miles northeast of Tahiti in the Tuamotu island chain. Here, it can take up to five years before a pearl matures into a ready-for-the-necklace jewel. Josh knows exactly what the real deal looks – and even tastes – like, and he explains the science of selecting the perfect pearl.
- Need to find the perfect gift for the gadget-loving island hoppers in your life? This year's ISLANDS Tech Guide offers gift ideas from electronics to luggage that are sure to help you score points with techie travelers.
Check out this year's Ultimate Holiday Gift Guide for more ideas like these.