Overwater bungalows have finally come to the Caribbean. Last fall, Sandals introduced the first overwater bungalows in Jamaica. The all-inclusive resort brand is now debuting overwater bungalows in St. Lucia — May 15 marks their unveiling at adults-only Sandals Grande St. Lucian Resort. Here are nine things we love about these new overwater bungalows in St. Lucia.
1. Overwater bungalows in the Caribbean are Closer to Home
Unlike Tahiti and the Maldives, you don’t have to fly halfway around the world to get to these overwater bungalows. While the price tag is pretty hefty, they’re a good option if you’re short on vacation time and don’t want to waste a few days traveling.
Take a video tour of the overwater bungalows at Sandals Grande St. Lucia
2. “Sea-through” Glass Floors
What’s cooler than looking out a window to see the sea from your bungalow? Looking down at the floor and seeing the sea through it. The aquarium-like window is even lit so you can spy on the fish at night and yes, it’s thick enough to safely walk on.
3. Butler Service
Unpacking your luggage? You’re on vacation, so let your butler handle it! From making dinner reservations to bringing you breakfast in bed to drawing a rose petal filled candlelit bath, your professionally trained butler is there to handle every detail of your overwater bungalow stay.
4. Over-the-Water Hammocks
If you’ve ever lounged in a hammock, you’ve probably thought, “life can’t get better than this." Five minutes in the over-the-water hammock and you’ll happily admit just how wrong you were. The rectangular catamaran netting is the perfect spot to catch some rays or snag a cozy nap while floating over the deep blue.
5. Beach Bliss
Just steps away from the nine overwater bungalows at Sandals Grande St. Lucian Resort is a mile-long beach. Now we know you may never want to leave your bungalow with its swim-up platform, but hear us out: your butler will set you up on the sand with a shade canopy and deliver a cooler filled with your drink of your choice and even bring you lunch on the beach. The jerk chicken from the Jerk Shack pairs nicely with a cold Piton beer.
6. All-inclusive. Really.
Breakfast? Second breakfast? Lunch? Dinner? Supper? Since Sandals is all-inclusive you can eat like a Hobbit and then, if you’re still hungry, hit up your butler for some 24-hour room service. It’s all included. Those top shelf liquors in your mini bar? Also included. Cheers!
7. Three Vacations in One
Shake up your stay with a day trip to a different pool bar or a different beach. Sandals’ resort share program means you can play and dine at their other two St. Lucia properties (Sandals Regency La Toc and Sandals Halcyon) during your stay. Round-trip transportation is included and your butler can make dining reservations at all three properties on your behalf.
8. Included Activities
If your idea of vacation includes more than lounging in your bungalow or by the pool, Sandals has got you covered with a plethora of included land and water sports. Certified divers can take advantage of inclusive scuba diving, and snorkeling, use of Hobie Cats, and paddle boarding are just some of the water-based activities you can experience during your trip. If you’re more of a landlubber, tennis, yoga, volleyball, and mini golf tournaments await.
9. St. Lucia
Sandals couldn’t have picked a better location for their new bungalows as St. Lucia has a fun local scene and plenty of interesting excursions. Climb the Pitons or take a tour of Soufriere Volcano where the road runs right through the crater. Stop for a mud bath in the sulfur springs and follow it up with a dip in the refreshing Toraille waterfall. Visit St. Lucia Distillers to see the rum making process and sample the goods.
- Sandals Grande St. Lucian is located on the northwest side of St. Lucia and your included airport transfer from Hewanorra International Airport takes approximately two hours.
- The bungalows open to guests May 15, 2017, and bookings are currently being accepted.
- Rates vary by season: check Sandals' website for the most up-to-date information.
- Due to the above and beyond nature of the personalized service they provide, the butlers at Sandals are allowed to accept tips at the guest's discretion.
- Note that Sandals Resorts are adults-only, couples-only resorts. Groups and families should check out Beaches.
- Attire for dinner falls into two categories, Resort Casual and Resort Evening. Resort Casual: Shorts or jeans, t-shirts or polo shirts. Swimwear must be covered. Shirts and footwear required and Resort Evening: Dress pants or jeans for men, long or short sleeve dress shirts (with or without collar). Dress shoes or sandals. No shorts, t-shirts, sleeveless shirts, sneakers, flip flops or slippers. No hats or caps.