- Wash and clean crabs (remove gills and dirt). Split down the middle and crack legs so gravy can penetrate.
- Toss crabs with turmeric, cayenne, allspice and salt. Set aside.
- Roast rice, peppercorns, and cumin together. Then roast coconut until brown. Grind all ingredients with garlic and set aside.
- Heat oil in medium pot. Sauté onions, curry leaves, tomato, pandanus and murungu leaves.
- Add crabs and 1/2 cup (125 ml) water. Cover and steam.
- Combine rice mixture with water and coconut milk and add to pot. Stir and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Soak tamarind in 1/4 cup water. Strain seeds and add liquid to pot. Simmer and additional 5 minutes until done. The gravy should be dark and rich.
Divi Aruba Hosted the Largest Michelin Pop-up Restaurant in the Caribbean. Here’s What We Ate.