The Fish House on Key Largo in the Florida Keys is one of my favorite restaurants. They have some of the freshest seafood around (try the mahimahi Hemingway style), and their key lime pie is absolutely the best. I just got off the phone with the Fish House’s general manager, who gave me permission to share their famous key lime pie recipe. Add this to your holiday table, and your guests will never want a pumpkin pie again.
Fish House Key Lime Pie
MAKES 1 PIE
FOR THE PIE
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 (15 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup fresh key lime juice
- 1 (9 inch) graham cracker crust
FOR THE MERINGUE:
4 eggs whites
4 tbsp sugar
1. Combine egg yolks and condensed milk. Mix together well. Add key lime juice and mix well again. Pour mixture into pie shell.
2. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form, slowly adding sugar. Spread the mixture onto the pie all the way to the edge of the crust. Create peaks using back of a wooden spoon.
3. Bake in pre-heated, 300-degree oven until meringue is light brown. Cool before serving.