What do professional wrestling, British ballet, a sci-fi TV series, a vegan lifestyle, and a bizarre but beloved fictional family have in common? All are being celebrated on themed cruises throughout 2023 and 2024.
In addition to enjoying tropical destinations in the Caribbean and Mexico—and even the Mediterranean and the rivers of Europe—fans of more than a dozen disparate entertainment franchises and eclectic interests (even knitting and genealogy) can participate in fun, entertaining, and enriching onboard activities and meet the personalities they’ve long admired.
Read on for details about 14 of the best themed cruises for 2023-2024.
Star Trek: The Cruise
Billed as a “Un-Conventional Voyage,” Star Trek: The Cruise VI is unlike any other this side of the Gamma Quadrant with a line-up of day and night activities of Trekked-out fun that includes Star Trek actors Kate Mulgrew, Jonathan Frakes, Brent Spiner, Marina Sirtis, Denise Crosby, and others.
- Dates: February 24–March 3, 2023
- Ship: Royal Caribbean’s Navigator of the Seas
- Port of departure: Los Angeles, CA
- Itinerary: Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas, and Mazatlan in Mexico
- Activities: Guests can expect one-of-a-kind shows, interactive events, Q&As with their favorite actors, panel discussions with leading scientists and experts, trivia sessions, karaoke, and nightly themed parties (to show off their cosplay skills).
Golden Fans at Sea
The irascible cast of the hit TV series The Golden Girls may no longer be with us, but their spirit lives on in re-runs—and on the annual 5-night Golden Fans at Sea cruise that brings Dorothy, Rose, Blanche, and Sophia lovers of all ages together to be “a pal and a confident on the high seas.”
- Dates: April 8-13, 2023
- Ship: Celebrity Summit
- Port of departure: Miami, FL
- Itinerary: Key West and Cozumel
- Activities: Character costume dress-up parties, trivia games, celebrity panels, and parody shows.
Grand Prix of Monaco Cruise
Feel the need for speed—or at least love to watch as gutsy Formula One drivers maneuver world-class race cars through a Grand Prix course? One of the most famous races takes place each May in Monte Carlo, Monaco, and Windstar Cruises has been bringing passengers to this stunning Mediterranean port on 7-night itineraries for years.
Dates: May 23-30, 2023
- Ship: Windstar Cruises’ Wind Surf
- Port of departure: Barcelona, Spain
- Itinerary: Palamos, Spain; Sanury-sur-Mer, France; Cannes, France; Monte Carlo, Monaco; Portoferraio, Italy; and Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy
- Activities: Exclusive access to special Windstar private Prix du Monde events and two days of Formula One time trials and racing.
Infinity Sports Rugby Charter
Rugby might not have the following in the U.S. of other professional sports such football and soccer, but fans of these fast-paced and aggressive international matches can book one of eight sailings lasting 2-to-10 nights during the Rugby World Cup France 2023.
- Dates: Multiple dates between September 8 and October 28, 2023
- Ship: Norwegian Epic
- Port of departure: Marseille, France
- Itinerary: Various destinations in the Mediterranean, including Ibiza, Spain; Corsica, France; Cannes, France; Livorno, Italy; and Civitavecchia, Italy
- Activities: The chance to watch Rugby World Cup France 2023 matches live on the pitch in Marseille.
Halloween on the High Seas
Disney Cruise Line specializes in dream-fulfilling treats, but it also has some awesome tricks up its sleeves on multiple “Halloween on the High Seas” cruises (3-to-14 nights) that are perfect for autumnal family fun—complete with costumed Disney characters embracing the spooky season along with the brand’s usual magic.
- Dates: Multiple dates in September and October 2023
- Ships: Disney Dream, Disney Magic, Disney Fantasy, Disney Wonder and Disney Wish
- Port of departure: Miami, Port Canaveral, San Diego, New York
- Itinerary: Bahamas, Bermuda, Caribbean, Mexico, New England
- Activities: Halloween costume parties on deck, character meet-and-greets, creepy craft-making, live shows and entertainment, and spooky desserts
Dance the Atlantic
One of Cunard’s “event voyages,” Dance the Atlantic allows passengers to go behind the scenes of the English National Ballet and discover the work it takes to stage its productions and take workshops to enhance their own love of ballet.
- Dates: August 11-18, 2023
- Ship: Cunard’s Queen Mary 2
- Port of departure: Southampton, England
- Itinerary: Transatlantic to New York
- Activities: Guests will be able to watch the dancers’ morning ballet class and rehearsals, meet and mingle with the dancers, attend workshops, and enjoy a special performance by the English National Ballet in the ship’s Royal Court Theatre.
The Sci-Fi Sea Cruise
The world’s largest cruise ship will be the setting for the 7-night out-of-this-world Sci-Fi Sea Cruise as it celebrates the 60th anniversary of the British cult-TV franchise Doctor Who with at least one doctor and several other cast members and crew aboard, including Frazer Hines, Sylvester McCoy, Eric Roberts, Eliza Roberts, and Sophia Myles.
- Dates: October 22-29, 2023
- Ship: Royal Caribbean’s Wonder of the Seas
- Port of departure: Port Canaveral, FL
- Itinerary: Cozumel, Mexico; Puerta Maya, Mexico; Roatan, Honduras; and Perfect Day at CocoCay
- Activities: Passengers can participate in story readings, mini video episodes, and interactive audio adventures.
Chris Jericho’s Rock ‘n Wrestling Rager at Sea
This now annual event—2023’s is called Four Leaf Clover—features four days of insane wrestling matches, musical performances and “ragin’ adventure” on the high seas, hosted by actor/wrestler/musician/TV personality Chris Jericho.
- Dates: February 2-6, 2023
- Ship: Norwegian Pearl
- Port of departure: Miami, FL
- Itinerary: Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas
- Activities: Wrestling showdowns in a ring on the pool deck between All Elite AEW wrestlers including Daniel Garcia, Sammy Guevera, Jake Hager, Tay Melo, Anna Jay, Wardlow, Jungle Boy, and others. Autograph sessions and three Fozzy concerts are also on the itinerary.
Holistic Holiday at Sea
For the past 18 years, Holistic Holiday at Sea cruises have been offering wellness-focused travelers a chance to mingle with top nutrition and exercise experts to learn about plant-based diets and the growing vegan movement—and in 2023, the 7-night cruise will feature more than 45 teachers and 150 classes.
- Dates: March 17-24, 2023
- Ship: MSC Divina
- Port of departure: Miami
- Itinerary: Belize City, Belize; Roatan, Honduras, Costa Maya, Mexico; and Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve, Bahamas
- Activities: There is a focus on plant-based nutrition with cooking classes, lectures, and workshops, as well as parties, singles dinners, and socials.
Perry Golf Cruises Aboard Azamara
If golf is your game, you’ll have multiple opportunities to combine your passion with a boutique cruise experience as Perry Golf has partnered with Azamara to host several dozen golf-themed cruises in 2023 and 2024—all onboard Azamara’s fleet of 700-passenger cruise ships with itineraries that span the globe.
- Dates: Various dates in 2023, 2024 and 2025
- Ship: Azamara Journey, Azamara Pursuit, Azamara Onward, and Azamara Quest
- Port of departure: Multiple
- Itinerary: Various itineraries, including Ireland, South Africa, New Zealand & Australia, Scotland, Japan, South America, Iberian Peninsula, and Mediterranean Islands.
- Activities: The itineraries include 4 to 6 rounds of golf at top courses in the destinations visited.
Cycle & Cruise
Enjoy exploring a new destination on two wheels? Adventure specialist Butterfield & Robinson has partnered with luxury river cruise line Uniworld to offer two Cycle & Cruise itineraries along Europe’s top rivers in 2023.
- Dates: September 2023
- Ship: S.S. Maria Theresa
- Port of departure: Passau, Germany
- Itinerary: Danube River (Passau, Germany; Linz, Austria; Vienna, Austria; Bratislava, Slovakia; and Budapest Hungary); Rhine River itineraries are already sold out.
- Activities: Cycling tours along the river as you sightsee top landmarks—castles, monasteries, old city centers, historic bridges—along a mostly flat and gentle Danube bike path.
Moira’s Party Boat: Ew, Cruising
Yes, the inimitable characters from the hit Netflix series Schitt’s Creek—Moira, Johnny, Alexis, David, et al—are being lovingly imitated at sea on Moira’s Party Boat: Ew, Cruising. The hilarity includes plenty of look-alike costumed revelers, pool parties, and bar crawls.
- Dates: March 30-April 3, 2023
- Ship: Celebrity Summit
- Port of departure: Miami, FL
- Itinerary: Key West, FL and Nassau, Bahamas
- Activities: The Night of 1,000 Moiras costume party, Bebe’s Chamber Wig Sail-Away party, drag performances, Jocelyn’s Bingo and more
Heritage on the River: Personalized Ancestry Journeys
AmaWaterways, one of Europe’s leading river cruise companies, is offering two Heritage on the River: Personalized Ancestry Journeys in partnership with Ancestry.com via add-on packages to two of its most popular river cruise itineraries on the Danube and the Rhine.
- Dates: June 17, 2023 (Danube) and November 2, 2023 (Rhine)
- Ship: AmaViola (Danube) and AmaLucia (Rhine)
- Port of departure: Nuremberg, Germany (Danube), and Amsterdam (Rhine)
- Itinerary: Legendary Danube: Nuremeburg to Budapest with calls on Regensberg and Passau in Germany, and Linz, Melk, and Vienna in Austria. Captivating Rhine: Amsterdam to Basel, Switzerland with calls on Cologne, Rudesheim, Ludwigshafen, and Breisach in Germany and Strasbourg, France.
- Activities: With an AncestryProGeneaologist onboard, passengers can explore their family roots based on results of Ancestry DNA test taken before the voyage, plus enjoy family tree consultations and historical and genealogical presentations.
Travelers who are passionate about knitting can pack their yarn and needles and gather with other talented devotees to share their skills and learn new techniques from onboard experts. Crafters who enjoy crocheting and needlepoint have their own cruise itineraries as well.
- Dates: Throughout 2023
- Ship: Various Holland America Line ships (Nieuw Amsterdam and Nieuw Statendam) and AmaWaterways’ AmaCerto
- Ports of departure: Vancouver, British Columbia; Copenhagen, Denmark; and Rotterdam, The Netherlands for ocean cruises and Zurich, Switzerland for the river cruise
- Itinerary: Alaska, Norway, the British Isles for ocean cruises plus a Christmas Markets on the Rhine River cruise in Switzerland, Germany, France and The Netherlands
- Activities: Small-group classes with sought-after instructors and casual onboard knitting circles.