One of my favorite things to chat about with other travel writers I meet in this destination or the next is the best food and cocktails that we’ve enjoyed on our journeys. Most of the time, people love to tell me about their favorite margaritas, because that’s just my thing. But if golf is involved, we talk a lot about whiskey drinks because I’m also on a never-ending quest to find the best Old Fashioned recipes on the planet. Very rarely do I hear about a place that has “the best” of both, but one friend insisted that I find my way to the Shelter Harbor Inn as soon as possible.
Located in Westerly, Rhode Island, this 22-room property is well-known for its charm and access to the best of this classic American destination. However, my fellow writer felt that the spotlight should shine directly on The Farmhouse Kitchen and Bar, where, he insists, any guests would likely rave about the Just What the Dr. Ordered bourbon cocktail and the Sparking South County Margarita. As I typically do, I made note of it in my travel wishlist for future adventures—especially with the Winnapaug Country Club nearby—and then wondered when I might ever get to Rhode Island.
The answer for anyone who has ever wanted to visit the Ocean State is January 2023. Formerly known as Hotel Week Rhode Island, the New Year will now begin with the expanded Rhode Island Hotel Month. Travelers looking for a subtle, scenic, and serene getaway can take advantage of rates discounts from as many as 21 hotels and resorts. Included in this offering are:
- Avonlea Jewel of the Sea
- The Waverly III at Block Island Cottages & Suites
- Admiral Fitzroy Inn
- America’s Cup Inn
- Howard Johnson by Wyndham
- The Hilltop Inn
- Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton, Providence Downtown
- Hotel Providence
- A Shore Thing at Charlestown Beach
- Shelter Harbor Inn
- The Break Hotel
- TownePlace Suites by Marriott, North Kingstown
- Weekapaug Inn
- Courtyard Providence/Warwick
- Hampton Inn – Coventry
- NYLO Providence Warwick Hotel, Tapestry Collection by Hilton
- Sonesta Hotel Warwick
- With more than 400 miles of coastline, Rhode Island is an explorer’s dream, but even if this time of year makes travelers want to curl up in a ball by a nice fire, this is a great opportunity for that as well. Perhaps more than anyone, foodies should be lining up to enjoy these offers, because the culinary creativity and delicious dishes are available far beyond the aforementioned inn.
The deals kicked off for Black Friday and will run through January 31.